Let me start out by saying that this blog is intended as a light-hearted giggle and my intentions are certainly not to make anybody look stupid. With learning any other language we all have to go through a world of making silly (and sometimes very amusing) mistakes. I myself have made very many mistakes when speaking Thai (I once said dog shit instead of horse-riding in front of my students, something they found highly amusing) but that would never deter me from learning more.
In that vein, here is helpful guide to understanding some of the amusing ways Thais phrase things when speaking English. Please feel free to add more in the comments 🙂
- My friend me – My friend
- My friend you – Your friend
- I fai – I am fine
- Are you spicy? – Can you eat spicy food / is it spicy?
- Are you boring? – Are you bored?
- No have – don’t have any / run out
- This is suck – This sucks
- You won eye? – Would you like some ice?
- Close the light / TV – Turn off the light / TV
- Him boxing you – He will punch you
- Your baby what’s my name? – What’s your baby’s name
- You ting tong mahk mahk – You are very crazy