Thailand is an amazing country and I love living here but one of the greatest things about calling Thailand home is that life is never ever boring and I’m constantly learning of new and interesting things about this country I call home. Here’s a list of some really cool things you may not already know about the land of smiles 🙂
- It’s illegal to step or stand on money in Thailand as it bears the face of the monarch so be a little careful.
- Thailand is the only South East Asian Country that was never colonised by a European power.
3. Thailand has 1430 islands.
4. The beauty pageant Miss Tiffany’s Universe which celebrates transgenderism typically attracts over 50M viewers each year.
5. Thailand has 40,717 Buddhist temples.
6. In Thailand the head is considered sacred so be aware with touching anyone’s head or passing something over it.
7. The monkey buffet festival is celebrated on 25th November when fruit and vegetables are given to local monkey populations.
8. You can be arrested in Thailand for driving topless.
9. Thais put ice in their beer which keeps it cold but dilutes the flavour. Please do not participate in this most heinous of acts 🙂
10. Thailand has no common surnames.
11. Thais have the perception that white skin is more beautiful (unlike us in the Western world) and you’ll see Thais avoiding the sun and plenty of skin whitening products for sale.
12. Thailand has the most bizarre flavours of crisps inc. spicy lobster, peking duck and Japanese seaweed.
13. Thais have some really funny nicknames. Here are a few I have heard over the years here: Cream, Poogun, Pancake, Panda, Idea, Nescafe and Anfield (a Liverpool fan).
14. Thais have different words for different types of smile. Yim Cheun Chom is a controlled smile used to express pride or admiration, Yim Sao is a smile used to hide one’s emotions and Yim Haeng which is a smile that says I know I owe you money but I don’t have it.
15. In Thailand you can indulge in Entomophagy, other wise known as eating bugs and insects. Delicacies include grasshoppers, woodworms and scorpions. Cr. @ https://www.chasingtravel.com/ Dedicated to travel experiences, food and culture